Thursday, April 1, 2010

Windows 7, this copy of windows is not genuine...

Hi all,

Have you ever come across the windows error message "this copy of windows is not genuine"?

I had experienced it in Windows XP last time when my PC accidentally executed the Windows Updates to install the latest Internet Explorer. I was totally annoyed with that message and I found a patch which cleaned up my machine pretty good.

Due to Windows XP's weak file-systems protection which leaves the file-systems open for hackers and viruses, my Windows XP was being continuously attacked. Getting tired of it, I had installed Windows 7.

Like I mentioned in my previous post, Windows 7 is wonderful piece of Windows ever! I loved the way it works. Furthermore, new applications such as Adobe Photoshop CS4 and others works pretty fast and smooth compared to Windows XP last time. Although its the same machine I am using it. I can feel that the new softwares are being written for newer version of Windows and making it sometime lack if used in older version of Windows.

But anyway, lets cut this short. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate RTM (OEM Edition). It requires no CD key. Just install it with blank cd key and it would automatically assign the copy of windows to OEM key and activates it. Pretty good. I was enjoying it for about a 2 weeks. I left the Windows Updates open thinking that OEM edition will never be blocked by Microsoft. I was so wrong! I left my PC running all night while I sleep (I always do this because lazy to close the machine), and the next day when I woke up, I saw the machine showing "this copy of windows is not genuine" error. So annoyed.

Started my search again for patch and found "Windows 7 Build 7600 RTM (x86/x64) Release 10.0 (03/03/2010)" patch. I had no luck. (Maybe because I did not run it as administrator)

Next I found a bunch of patches (contain 6 type patches) for Windows 7. The file was removed by many File Hosting website but continuous search lead me to download the copy from Rapidshare which was uploaded 2 weeks ago and the link is still alive.

Among the 6 type of patch, I selected "Chew-WGA 0.9 - The Windows 7 Patch". It has nothing complicated. Just one single executable file, I run it as administrator. It opened nice GUI and I clicked the "Apply" button. It installed the patch and restarted my machine.

The Windows annoying error was gone! And the status of Windows shows "Activated."

So if your copy of Windows 7 experience the same problem, all you need to do is google for that Chew-WGA and download the latest version. I cannot provide the URL because File Hosting website normally will trace the file and delete it within 1 month. So you must google for the latest one and download it on your own.

Have fun guys!

No comments: