Saturday, May 26, 2007

Convert Internal DVD-RW Drive to External

Hi buddies,

Recently i bought Samsung DVD-Burner and it is an Internal Drive. I had installed it to my room computer and it performed very well until impress me by burning 4 Gigabytes of data in just 8 minutes using 8x speed (11mb/sec). But somehow, my room computer did not perform well after i bought my laptop and this laptop only has DVD Combo which means it will Read DVD, Read CD and Burn CD but won't burn DVD. I used to download movies from internet and the capacity is almost 700MB +- for each movie. Generally, this situation placed me into a need for DVD Burners as i don't wish to delete the movies after watching it, i want to save it all in DVDs and keep it for later use just to prove that i have watched many movies maybe. A new External DVD Burner will cost RM 310 (samsung) or RM 450 (sony). I have a internal DVD burner that i just bought for RM 135 which i installe to my room pc, so all i need is just a solution to make that internal DVD to an external DVD and make it suit for my laptop. I did a small research on how to do it.

The best information that i get is, we need 5.25" Enclosure to make the Internal drive to External. This enclosure is not so different to the normal hard disk enclosure (2.5" and 3.5"). And the difference were the size is bigger and it need an external pwer supply. USB power won;t be sufficient for it to work. It need an external power supply which comes together in the 5.25" Enclosure. I found the cheapest hardware at lelong for RM 60. I went to Digital Mall and looked all around there for this Enclosure. Believe me, when i asked them 5.25" Enclosure, most of the shop peoples said that they don't have it but when i look at their showcase, they of course got it there and when asked about it, then only they said "oh, this is the 5.25 inch enclosure huh?" It return as a question to myself. Most shop priced the device between RM 130 to 199. This is silly, all i wanted is just a simply enclosure and around RM60 which waas available in Lelong. Shopping around and around and around whole over the Digital Mall and finally found the cheapest on for RM 75. It was pretty what i expected and searched for. I took it for that price.

Back home, i took the Internal Drive and fix it to the 5.25" Enclosure case. Plug the USB to my laptop and turn on the power. Wow... Finally what i wanted had happened! The USB device was automatically recognized by Windows XP and did not prompt for any driver. I burned 4 Gigabytes of movies using Nero and it worked very well by completing the burning procedures in just 8 minutes. Glad i experienced a new stuff. And now very glad that i had shared my experience here through blogging it. Good day all!


5.25 inch Enclosure



5.25 inch Enclosure

No comments: