Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Rescue wet SD Card and formating it...

Hi all,

SD Card refers to the most popular memory card - Secured Digital Cards that are used in many digital cameras now days. And accidentally falling it into a water can be the most horrible situation if any one of us face it. From my own experience, i had face that situation and would like to gie you some tips on recover the card and the photos on it. I did forgot that the card actually in my pants pocket and my mum washed that pant. On the other day, i got to know that she found the SD card in the wash machine. I was actually suprise with my own POOR MEMORY power. The SD Card was given to me ad it was dry. When i placed it to my laptop, i could not access it. It showed I/O Error. While i tried on my digital camera "Canon PowerShot" while it showed "Memory Card Error". This definately scared me off because i need to use the card 2moro for an event. All i could is give it a try to recover it. The most useful tip that we all should know is "all IT stuffs need to warm". The more hot your card is, the more better the life-time for your It stuffs escpecially chips. SD card is also some sort of Memory Chips. So i took a hair-dryer and warmed the SD card until it really got very hot. Then i placed it to my latop. Lucky i was, my laptop now detected the card and i could see all the photos in it. I did transfer the photos to my hard disk. Then i put it back to camera and it worked. Again i too the SD card out and tried to format it on my laptop. I used FAT32 to format. After that i put it to the camera and suprise, once again faced "Memory Card Error". I did something and something and something to figure out the problem but i couldn't. Finally i decided to format the card back using FAT (not FAT32) which is actually belogging to old DOS system. Here is the key points, FAT - for DOS systems, FAT32 - for Win32 such as Windows 98, and NTFS - for NT system such as Windows XP. And was very glad that the SD card finally worked both on my laptop and camera. Lucky escape from spending RM 50 on buying new card. The moral of the story is 'hair-dryer' has many purposes else that just drying our hairs. While always format SD Card using FAT system rather than FAT32! Happy Day...


My SD Card

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much my Digital camera (SD card included) went swimming with the fishes on a vacation trip to the beach in Fl
thought i had lost all of our photos but the hairdryer trick worked just make sure it gets really hot and i was able to dowload to my computer

Anonymous said...

thanks 4 the good info,,
last saturday my camdig falling down into the sea water.. when i try to open my sd card on different camera, it cannot be read.. until now i don't know what should i do to save my memorable photos in my sd card..

maybe when i get home later, i'll try to drying my sd card with my moms hair dryer..

thanks a lot..",)

jersey girl said...

thank you so much just saved all my family vaca photos next time I won't take camera in the river tubing thank you so much